March 9 – Let the demolition begin ... look Ma, no pantry!
April 11 – The cabinets arrive!
April 19 – No breakfast room! Lots of new hidden wires though.
June 13th – (Upper left) The last meal from the old kitchen, June 15 – Look Ma! NO kitchen!
Auxiliary cabinet warehouse #2 – The breakfast room
Auxiliary cabinet warehouse #3 – Wherever we could fit them
June 21-22 –Something NEW! Paint, Flooring, Lights! oh my!
Look at that Brazilian Rosewood flooring!
June 28 – Drum roll please ... the first cabinet goes in!
Time to pick the granite slabs. Lots to choose from!
June 29 – Progress, but where's the floor?
June 30 – The breakfast room is now part Prep room
July 2 – Starting to look like a kitchen again
July 8 – Ahhhhh, Stainless Steel
July 14 – Look Ma, Granite!
August 2 – Part way through the soffit, a lot of work, hope it's worth it.
August 10 – Soffit and crown moulding complete, We think it was worth it!
"Look I can really cut through stone and my finger!"
Oh-oh, he's got a trowel in his hand ... has he joined the Masons?
August 16 – Look Ma, Stone on the walls!
August 23 – Let there be Grout!
THE BIG REVEAL! the floor is still there!
September 21st – If you look closely, a lot of detail work has been completed.
The light rail on the bottom of the cabinets, toe kicks on the spacers and corners filled in, the gas line for stove ran (with no explosions), base moulding and door trim installed.
There are some things you do not have to look closely to see (but I am nothing if not verbose so I will spell out a few).
We have drawers! We have doors! We have water! (faucets in two areas).
Well was it worth it?
We think so. In fact we think its beautiful and spend a LOT of time in our new kitchen.
We have hosted several dinner parties and one big Thanksgiving day and everything worked fine and all still looks brand new.
It was more or less done on time and more or less on budget (ok a little more than less, but we have no complaints).
Almost everything came out per plan and the few changes that were needed were all improvements.
Happy owners: The Colgroves
Here's a brief chronology of the project.
- December 25, 2007 - Maurie gets a small box for a present but with big stuff inside; a proposal for a new kitchen. She accepts! let the project begin!
- January - February 2008 - Planning, drawing, talking, get the money, visit showrooms, search the internet, read magazines/books/guides, look at friend's kitchens, select the cabinets, start buying things, more planning and more talking.
- March 9, 2008 - Demolition of pantry and breakfast room begins
- March - April 2008 - Rebuild breakfast room, wire for new lights/outlets, relocate doors
- April 11, 2008 - Cabinets arrive, assembly begins
- Late April thru early June 2008 - Not much of anything happened; 6 art shows in 7 weekends, the other weekend spent in Florida at a wedding; yeah I'm nuts
- June 13, 2008 - FRIDAY the 13th. Last meal in the old kitchen
- June 15, 2008 - Demolition of kitchen complete
- June 21-22, 2008 - New Brazilian Rosewood floors installed
- June 28, 2008 - First cabinet installed
- July 8, 2008 - Appliances installed, most cabinets installed
- July 14, 2008 - Granite installed
- July 16, 2008 - Soffit work begins
- August 4, 2008 - Missing cabinet installed, all cabinets now in place
- August 10, 2008 - Soffit and crown moulding complete, undercabinet lights installed
- August 16, 2008 - Travertine stone backsplash installed
- August 24, 2008 - Backsplash grout work complete, We reveal the floor again!
- September 21, 2008 - Doors and drawers installed, plumbing complete, most trim work complete
- October 1, 2008 - My original planned completion date...........and it's mostly done. Major missing item; we still haven't found the right door and drawer pulls.
- October 4-20, 2008 - No work done because of tradeshow and my Dad passing away (I owe him a lot and miss him).
- November 1, 2008 - Its done, finished, complete...let's eat!
- November 23, 2008 - The first public viewing of the kitchen; my mom was the first outsider to see it finished.